Monday, October 15, 2007

The Internet Gods are against me...

We are in Düsseldorf and all is well, but at our hotel the internet service is down! Somebody up there doesn't like me, I guess.

To bring you up to date... Saturday we spent the day in Brussels. First up was A la Becasse, home of the White Lambic and Lambic Doux. These are served in stoneware pitcher, the size depending on how many at the table order each (i.e. its a communal pitcher). Luis had the draft Kriek which had an intense cherry flavor. I like the beers and especially the pub, but I'd like it better without the saccharine aftertaste (I mean this literally -- it is sweetened with saccharine)

Next up was the Delirium Cafe. I have a love/hate feeling about this place. With 2000+ beers on the menu there are beers I've never seen anywhere else. But the places has little or no atmosphere and seems always full of teenagers looking for either the strongest of sweetest beer they can find. And the service can be terrible -- but not always the fault of the server -- it can take many minutes for them to find the beer you want, only to come back and say they couldn't find it. I like to drink beers from Brittany (Bretagne ) there but it can take 20 minutes to find one in stock :(

The last stop was Chez Moeder Lambic in St Giles. This is a my new favorite place to drink in Brussels. A nice selection of draft (including Cantillon on a beer engine) and a fairly extensive (and improving) beer list. A short taxi or tram ride from Brussel Zuid train station (a/k/a Midi) it should be on your list when you visit Brussels.

Sunday we took the train to Düsseldorf and managed to drink quite a few beers at Uerige. After dinner at Füchschen and it night cap at Im Goldener Kessel (Schumacher) it was time to call it a night.

Anyway tomorrow (Tuesday) is Sticke Day and hopefully my internet connection will be back up!

No comments: