Saturday, January 31, 2015

Kind of a Blah End to the Trip...

I was feeling a bit off on Monday. I took the DART (commuter rail) down to Blackrock to visit the new J.D. Wetherspoon's pub and then met a local friend at the second Wetherspoon's in nearby Dun Laoghaire.

Both pubs had mostly English and American beers on cask and keg plus the usual international swill.  The only Irish beers were bottled. Prices were amazing -- my first half pint of a cask Stout from Bath Ales was €1.25! Full pints -- cask or keg -- where €2.50 about half of what I had been paying.  I can see why the pub operators associations are fighting tooth and nail to keep Wetherspoon's out if Ireland.

Anyway, I though maybe I was coming down with a cold. After dinner and a couple of beers at the Brew Dock I called it an early-ish night.

Turns out I had some kind of stomach bug and hardly left the hotel room for the next two days. Not a pleasant time. My flight home was actually schedule for Wednesday but was canceled because of the bad weather in the Northeast US. That ended up being a bit of a blessing as it gave me an extra day to recover.

Anyway, I back home, OK and recovering from the jet lag. Kind of bummed that I didn't get to make a last visit of my favorite places, but there is always next year.

No comments: