Friday, May 27, 2022

Day Two in Prague: Vinohrady

 Today I decided to visit some places I missed on my last couple of trips.


First stop was Výčep, the Dalešice taproom in Prague.

Only three beers on tap today. They call this a tap room but it really is a restaurant with Dalešice beers.



I started with the Dalešické 11⁰. This was also my first outdoor beer. My biggest complaint here is they serve .4l mugs instead of the traditional .5l -- but you pay .5L prices. Good job, if you can get it.



Reading the coaster, I realized the Dallas 13º was an IPL with American hops. So I had one.


Even if you don't read Czech you can make out the hops: Cascade, Citra & Galaxy. A little taste of home.



Up the street a few blocks is Vinohradský Pivovar, the best brewpub in Prague (in my opinion)


Five beers on tap today, more that I remembered. Choice is always good.



The upper level was pretty full with the lunch crowd. There were tables with only one or two people I could have joined but in these pandemic days I'm not too comfortable doing that. So I went downstairs. On the way you can see the brewery.




I decided on their Jedenáctka (11⁰) Man, I love this beer. It's almost too pretty to drink.


Almost. Many think this is the best beer brewed in Prague. The argument is simplified because Unětice is just outside the city limits.

The soup of the day was cabbage and sausage -- seemed a good match.



Yesterday I provoked a Twitter discussion about the difference between a Polotmavý ("Half dark" usually translated as "Amber") and a Vienna lager (usually called Jantarová, which is also translated as "Amber"). The consensus from people far more knowledgable than I was that the Czech Vienna Lagers were almost always nearly 100% Vienna malt. I have had a couple in the past, one from Hostomice which was maybe the best beer I've ever had in Prague, and I think one from Unětice that was also great.

So when I realized Vinohradský had one on, I couldn't pass it up,


The Vinohradský Jantarová 13⁰ was definitely a Czech Maltshake...

The lunch crowd had cleared out. So I did too


Walking down to the next place, I came across a plaque. I think it says he drank on beer on this site, or something. Your daily, non-beer culture.



I was heading to Pivo a Párek but there was a conflict in their opening times on Facebook and their website. Turns out the later time was correct. So I had an hour or so to kill. A little further down the street was a tap room for Švihlý krám, a local brewery run by a Belgian born (and trained) brewer.  It turns out the tap room was closed and the site was a bottle shop. He did have some Švihlý krám beers and would loan me a glass but they were 750ml bottles and of Belgian strength, so I passed.

So I still had time to kill when I saw this sign.



Turns out it was a Venezuelan restaurant. With Unětice. Tell me more.


They had both the 10º and 12º and even side pull taps. Who'd a thunk it?  I asked if I could just have a beer and he said yes.


I ordered the 12º and decided to sit inside, listening to the music and enjoying the aromas. The picture is backlit and if I was a better technical photographer I could have fixed it. But I wanted to drink. The color was normal.


My this time it was past the later opening time at Pivo a Párek (Beer and Sausage) so I headed there.



They had 5 beers on tap. 


I thought about the Mariupol -- there was a sign saying profits went to support Ukrainian refuges -- I've seen that at a number of pubs -- but it was fairly strong so I went with the Flamendrák 11º


In retrospect I should have tried the France 13º -- I realized the note said it was brewed with French hops (I used to brew with French Strisselspalt hops back in the day I like them), The 11º was fairly bland. Nothing wrong, but not as good as the other beers I've had.

I asked the bar lady to bring me a sausage with the beer. Her English and my (non-existant) Czech were good enough to find out more than it was from a small Czech butcher.


Whatever it was called, it was delicious. When I cut into it, the interior was sort of a radioactive red and I was worried it was too spicy -- I like spicy but this early in the trip I try to avoid too much spice.

A short walk over to for aVery nice. By myself in the back room because the front room is packed with people watching hockey: CZK vs GER. They get quite excited...

Another shortish walk brought me to Černá Svině (Black Swine) that opened up just after my last visit.


Eight beers on tap today



I chose the Vycpaná Vydra 12⁰ from Pivovar Kostelec. I was relegated to the back room \ because the front room is packed with people watching hockey: CZK vs GER. They get quite excited...


The back room is quite large.



I thought about having another, but I still had places on my list. So I hopped a tram to Dno Pytle. The tram stops directly in front, which is nice but it does block the picture.


A number of taps were dry (I've noticed this a lot this trip)



I settled on the Zichovec Krahulik 10⁰. I glanced at the Support Ukraine beer but a barleywine was too much.



They used to be known for having Franconian beers on tap, but I understand they lost the connection to whomever was bringing them to Prague. The wifi password will make Franconian beer fans smile as well.


It is a cozy little pub (though there is a large back room). It had been too long since my last visit.


Another short tram ride and a walk took me to Decentní Dýně 



Six beers on tap


Unětice is the mainstay and its been a while since I had the 10.7º -- it was Stockholm I think, the last beer I had with my late friend Gunner Ericksson.


On my first look I said 'oh no!" -- that is not a clean glass. And it was not a clean beer. Even though it was 90 minutes or so since they opened, I think that was the first pour of the day and he hadn't drained the lines. Normally I would send it back but I was late to meet a friend of friend so I just left it. I will give them another chance but I would say they are on probation.

I headed back to the tram and so was at Beer Geek to meet a friend of a friend, They had just finished a tap takeover from the Polish brewery Pinta and it seemed a convenient  meeting place.



Sadly, for me, not a lot of Czech lagers on the list. The one from Sibeeria (which is owned by the same person who owns BeerGeek) I had yesterday. So I decided to try the Grodziskie. I had tasted one brewed by Jopen based on a historical recipe, and it was good. So I thought it worth a try.


It could have been my taste buds tired out, but I was underwhelmed. It was best described as bland -- no smoke character, little bitterness.

I had always like the wings at BeerGeek so I ordered the monthly special -- Thai Chili.

I needed another beer and couldn't pass up a Schlenkerla Märzen.



As is usual for me, I find the legged version a little sweeter than the gravity barrels in Bamberg -- but I just be remembering sitting the Schlenkerla tavern and missing that.

On my way home I had one more place to check out.  The former Pivní šenk U Kacíře had closed and reopened as Pražský Floutek.
 

Turns out they only have beers from Pivovarská Uhříněves and there are other places to drink that so passed and went back to my hotel.

No comments: