Sunday, March 25, 2012

Arrived in Bamberg

After a 30 minute delay on the ICE (causing me to miss my connection) -- you definitely can't set your watch these days by Deutsche Bahn -- I arrived in Bamberg.

I am staying at "Schloss Wetzel" -- Frank Wetzel's nice "Holiday Apartment" (Ferienwohnung) in the Bamberg Old Town. From the apartment is a very short walk to Schlenkerla...


Where I had my first beer, the Schlenkerla Fastenbier. This is a seasonal beer, served during Lent, is not as smokey as the regular Schlenkerla Märzen and a bit higher in alcohol. It is also unfiltered.


The Fastenbier was very good, but I think last year's was better. Of course, last years Fastenbier was the best one they ever brewed so that is a pretty high bar to jump.

Of course, I had to have a Märzen as well...



I have a new camera, Sony DSC-HX9V so I'm taking pictures of things of which I already have too many. These were taken from the Unter Brücke ("Lower Bridge")



The camera has a "wide screen" mode, so I took a similar picture using that...


After running some errands (groceries, getting a bicycle, etc.) I realized I hadn't really had anything to eat since breakfast on the plane. It was early for dinner, so I easily got a table at Schlenkerla. Of course, a aperitif was in order...


The soup of the day was "Forellencremesuppe"  or "Trout Cream Soup." That sounded interesting, so I had a bowl.


That thing in the center was a piece of trout stuffed with a vegetable puree. It was good but a bit unusual.

For the main course I had a Bamberg Onion -- one of my favorites. It is a large onion stuffed with a ground meat and mashed potatoes and a sauce made from the Märzen.



I was in the Dominikanerklause -- the room to the right as you enter. They recently did some renovations and discovered that under the decades of cigarette smoke was a beautiful inlaid ceiling. I thought I'd share some pictures of it taken by just setting the camera on the table, pointing upward.





That's it for the first afternoon/evening in Bamberg. Stay tuned for more....

No comments: