Sunday, March 2, 2014

Walking around Bamberg, Drinking beer...

Haven't see that post title before.

Started off by walking over to Cafe Abseits for lunch and beer. Or three.


My usual first beer there is Mönchsambacher Lager. I am in a rut because it was my first beer this time as well.


I paired with a Schnitzel Sandwinch, regular this time not XXL



Gerhard asked me if I had tasted the Weiherer IPA from Brauerei Kundmüller. I hand't so he brought one out to share.


It was very nice -- nice and hoppy -- but I don't think it will replace Racer 5 as my goto IPA.

Next up was the Gänstaller Affumicator Smoked Double Bock. At 10.2% this is a big beer. I had a half glass because I had a lot of walking to do...


Then it was off to Mahrs but I was early enough to have a quick beer at Keesmann (which closes at 3pm on Saturday).


I had the Herrn Pils. This and the Fässla Pils vie for the best Pils in Bamberg. I tough choice, but I think I still like the Fässla a bit better. But this one is very good as well.


The across the street to Mahrs Bräu...



...where it was too early for the U so I had a Helles from the barrel. A nice, drinkable beer.


Playing with my camera, I took some shots of the room...





And by the time I was finished with my Helles, they had tapped the barrel of U. So I had one.

 

I think they have reduced the hops over the years. This used to be one of my favorite beers in Bamberg -- and it is still very good -- but I think it was better in years gone by.

I do like the new Mahrs coasters. though. A nice mix of old and new.



On the way out I took a picture of the empty Schwemm. Don't see that too often.


I thought I would wander over to Eckerts, on the Obere Mühlbrücke, and take some tourist pictures along the way.



Eckarts is on an island in the river, so it has great views if you are eating,



I just sat in the bar and had a Gänstaller Zwickelpils.


Now came a tough choice -- I had to walk right by Klosterbräu. When I was last here, last October, I could't finish the beer I ordered. I figured I owed it to my readers (all six of you) to report on the status of their beer.


So I ordered a Braunbier. And it wasn't too bad. I was able to finish it but had no desire to have another.


Then I heard they were serving the last keg of their Bockbier -- which I assume was from last fall -- and since the Braunbier didn't do me in, I had a bock as well.


It was actually quite nice. Not as good as some of their hocks ten years ago, but eminently drinkable, which can be dangerous for a bockbier.

Then it was up the hill to Stöhrenkeller for another Gänstaller beer -- this one a rauchbier -- and a Panang curry for dinner.


Food and beer were both excellent.

On the way home I stopped at Schlenkerla for a night cap.


I long hard day, especially for the first full day in country. Maybe I will take it easy Sunday. Maybe.

No comments: