Friday, February 13, 2009

SF Friday Afternoon -- City Beer

After a uneventful drive north, we dropped our bags at the hotel and walked around the corner to City Beer. This is a beer store cum pub -- they have six beer on tap to taste while you shop and an impressive selection of bottles to go -- except the bottles don't have to go -- for a $1 corkage fee (to cover, I'm sure, the cost of washing glasses) you can drink and of the bottles as well.

City Beer

Luis is the proverbial kid in a candy store -- so many beers, so little time


On draft was Russian River Damnation Batch 23 and Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout.

Both were great!



We followed them up with some other beers: a Telegraph Reserve Wheat -- which while it billed itself as a "Berliner Weisse" actually tasted more like the delicious "Janer Weisse" I had from Jana a year or so back. A true, straight Berliner Weisse to me tastes like sour water -- there is really nothing there but sour -- not body, not hops. No wonder they add syrup. The Janer Weisse was nicely sour but had enough body to know you were drinking a beer and that's how I'd describe this beer. That may sound like faint praise, but its not -- that beer from Jena was one of the best I've had in a long time.

Luis had a Midnight Sessions Black Lager from Port Brewing (a/k/a Pizza Port) that seemed to be very good, but I really need to drink it before drinking a Strong Belgian and an Imperial Stoit (i.e. my taste buds where in "strong beer" mode).

As we were finishing up we realized there there another beer on tap -- Iron Springs "Casey Jones IPA" from Faifax, California. So we ordered one for "the table" and it turns out that was enough. It was very hoppy but it had a harsh finish -- the first sip was as good as it got.

While I was laboriously entering the original post with my iPhone, Luis grabbed my camera and took a picture of me "iPhone Blogging," I guess this is an example of second order blogging, (e.g. "Metablogging") but my head hurts to much thinking about this...

A blog of Fred blogging...

No comments: