Saturday, December 14, 2019

Antwerp Day 4

Short post today. I started to feel the onset of a cold, so I took it easy.

Only stop of the day was Beerlovers Bar, not far from Centraal Station.


They have twelve beers on tap and an impressive bottle selection.  The specialize in newer Belgian breweries and craft imports, though they do have a few beers from more “traditional” breweries.


Since I won’t make it to De Ware Jacob this trip, I jumped on a chance for an Avec Les Bons Vœux from Brasserie DuPont.


As always, a wonderful beer. The only problem was I could have used a half liter glass...

Next up was the Fresh Hop Pils 13 from Ministry of Belgian Beer (a brewery, not a government office, in case you were wondering). I have heard good things about this brewery and this beer didn’t disappoint. I have heard some say Belgians can’t do quality lagers and I would point them to this beer (and others) and ask them to reconsider. I have heard since that their Export is even better.


I had one more beer in me before I needed a nap, so I ordered the Het Anker Cuvée van de Keizer Blond.


I had high hopes for the this beer but it didn’t reach them. Nothing wrong with it, other than maybe the name. If it had been “Guido’s Strong Blond” I would have said “nice beer” and moved on. The regular CvdK is much better, as is their Gouden Carolus Tripel.

There organization that puts on the Kerstbierfest (O.B.E.R.) was having party to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the fest. I had an invite but bailed. The way I was feeling my Mother would have said “Have some chicken soup.” On the way back to my tram stop I passed Pho Viet and went in for a bowl of Lemongrass Chicken Pho. Not Mother’s chicken soup but very good and hit the spot...



Tomorrow is the first day of the Kerstbierfest. Hopefully I be rested and ready to go...

No comments: